Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Body at Rest

So as I stated in my last post, or at least I think I did...I hurt my back about 2-3 weeks ago at work. Well it really hasn't got any better. I thought I did, but it really hasn't. It has been back and forth, the pain coming and going as it pleases, sometime worse than others. I haven't run since last Friday when I ran a 5k.
I have a 1/2 Marathon coming up in 2 weeks from this Sunday. I have the confidence to know that I can do it, but it still makes me nervous that I cant train for it right now. I made an appointment with a chiropractor for next Wednesday, which is going to make me nervous. It will be my first time, plus there are always good and bad things that you hear about people's experiences with a chiropractor. Luckily my mother has been seeing the same one for many years, so I have confidence in the office she goes to. I really hope it relieves some pain and pressure and I can continue on.

The other tough part is that my sister is moving home from Baltimore this weekend. YIPPEE!! So my parents and one of my cousins and I are flying down on Saturday and helping her to pack it all up in a truck and her car, then drive back to Massachusetts. So I have to be careful when picking up different items, etc. I am not excited for the car ride home or even the flight home, my back tends to hurt more when sitting in the car.

What my mom and I keep reminding myself is that I need to nurse my back in order to be able to do the 1/2 marathon, be able to finish strong and happy! I want to be able to feel good at the end, to end with a smile on my face! So I am trying to stay strong, rest and get myself back to good workings and get back to running.
 
 
 
Both to me can mean two things. One, that you need to work hard and be the best you can, push yourself to get where you want to be. But for my current state, it helps me know that I CAN do the 1/2 marathon, but in order to get the best out of myself, I need to take care of myself first, listen to my body so that I can run the 1/2 marathon instead of sitting and watch as it passes me by because of an injury!
I will rest.
I will get better.
I will be stronger.
I will finish.
I will finish strong.
I will finish with a  smile on my face.
 
-Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment