Sunday, September 2, 2012

Labor Day Weekend: Virtual 5mile Race

I decided today I would get my long run in outside, enjoy the weather..and the fact that it was actually cooler like I thought it would be (unlike last run outside where it was still pretty warm!)

Today started with some laziness though, just laying around in bed. Then it was off to my sister-in-laws to see my mother-in-law who was babysitting my neice for the weekend. Rich and I went over there to see Sofia, our neice and to spend time with his Mom since she had been by herself since I think friday with Sofia. She is the cutest thing and soo beautiful!

Of course along our way to her house, I saw a whole bunch of people out on their runs. I thought wow, why am I not out there right now? Then of course Rich started to tease me a bit saying that all the other runners were saying "how come Stephanie isnt out here running right now!?" haha. Then he mentioned that they are all probably out right now because it is suppose to rain, which I completely forgot about. So that had be worried, but hey if it was raining, I would just go to the gym. Its a good back fall.

So we were over there for til about 4, which seemed like we were there for a lot longer, and I was really tired, not like I did to much either. So we got home around 430 and I thought I would take about a 30-45 minute nap before my run just so I would have enough energy. It turned into about an hour nap, and it was good! But I was still a bit groggy, and it was roughly 6pm!

Seeing that is was starting to get late, I had a quick snack, put all my gear on and got ready to go! Seeing how I was determined to get a 5 mile run in, I strapped on my new running belt on in order to be able to have some water with me!
Nathan Trail Mix 2 Hydration Belt - Dick's Sporting Goods
Nathan Trail Mix 2 Hydration Belt
I like the belt, it stays in place and doesnt ride up. The bottles are a bit small, but I figure when it comes time for the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon, I will be able to get water or whatever at the water/food stops through out the race and save my water for times when I need it and there is nothing around. I was able to split up the water from a regular water bottle, like Dasani into both water bottles. I was going to try to put some ice in each one, but the cubes wont fit into the openings.

So not only was I able to get in a long run, I figured a 5mile was a good choice since my Princess friend Nicole shared this Virtual race page. http://anywhere5k.com/races/ It has a calendar for virtual races, meaning you can run anywhere anytime of a certain distance and then somehow your distance and time is shared. I registered through a blog titld MommyRunFast in which Laura talks about the virtual races, etc. So I registered after I ran and had my dinner! So now I just need to wait to receive an email back asking for my race time and distance, along with my blog entry or any photos that I may have took.

(This is the Bib for the virtual Run that Laura from MommyRunFast posted for thoe who joined in on the fun could wear...if I had seen it before my run I would have worn it!)

I didnt take any photos, but it was a good-great run. I ran through parts of town that I have been through on a run before, plus others I havent. Some were just side roads, that I figured woul help in extended my run and making sure I made it to 5miles before or just as I would reach home. Some miles felt longer than others. But thanks to my lovely RunStar app, I was able to set up a notification for each mile, and it would also tell me how long I have been running and the pace of each mile, which was AWESOME! It made me very happy, but I also felt that I would become anxious as I felt that I had reached another mile because it felt so long, but indeed I hadnt because I had not received a notification yet.

So all in all, I am proud of myself for getting it done, not giving up, and maintaining pace! My last mile was actually the quickest mile, shaving 20-27 seconds off compared to each of the miles before. If that makes sense...Well each mile, 1-4, was about 14.20-27 minutes each, and mile 5 was 13.58minutes.

Yay me!

Stephanie
"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

1 comment: