Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hakuna Matata!

Yes, put the past behind you. That's going to be my motto.
This past Monday my husband and I suffered an unfortunate event, our apartment was broken into. No one was hurt physically, and they didn't break anything other than a panel on our door to get in.
They stole our tv, laptop and Playstation 3. Bummer, I know.

As glad as I was that there was no further damage, just some evidence of rummaging through drawers, etc, no memories were taken, no personal and important belongings (family jewelry, etc) were stolen, but just items that can be expensive to replace.

We both felt useless for the rest of the evening. I cried after the cops left, or at least tried my best to wait until they left. Now I feel that our apartment is tainted, but I am also feeling protective, and just want to stay home to watch over it even though the odds of it happening again are slim to none, at least by the same people who did it before.

But now we are trying to move past it. Trying to gather all paperwork for insurance and get that sent out asap.

Having the break-in also put a damper on my training plans. I had planned on doing some laundry Monday after work, then coming home and getting a couple miles in or maybe some speed work. But then just a few minutes or so into the washing process I got the call from my landlord, asking me to go home and check things out. Then my night was over, there was no going anywhere or doing anything else. My sister came over to hang and bring some dinner which was nice and comforting.

Rich and I stayed home on Tuesday to try to pull ourselves together, gather information, etc. My mom came over with some lunch and her computer to use for email, searches on craigslist and just to be a friendly face.

We both returned to work on Wednesday and the whole day I just wanted to be home. And even when I was out of work, I couldn't go home. I had a dentist appointment and then a chiropractor appointment. Then we went to his sisters house to hang out, see our niece and my father in law was nice enough to give us some money to help with the purchasing of replacement items!

Anyways, today is Thursday! I went to work with a bag packed of my running gear, determined to park at a spot and going running on a new route that I had partially planned out, in hopes that it would still work fully. Well after work today I started driving in the direction I needed to to get to the location, and I started feeling nauseous, my tummy hurt and I was just tired. I have been tired for the past two days due to the stress and thinking about the whole thing. Anyways, so I parked my car and talked myself into.

I convinced myself to at least go 2 miles out and then see how I felt. I decided at two to keep going. I had planned on 8 miles, so running out 4 then turning around. So I pushed forward to 4, and then had to push myself the final 4. My last 4 miles were better than my first. I think it did help that it was more downhill going back then the first 4.

Anyways, in the end I am really glad that I pushed myself out of the car and did all that I set out to do. I was not thrilled with my time, but hey I did it, it isn't awful and like I said, my pace was much better the last 4 miles. Looking at my final time, if my pace stays the same or continues to improve through the miles, the 1/2 marathon in a week and a half should be completed in just under 3 hours which is my goal.

-Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear that happened Steph. Yes glad no one was at home at the time and no one injured. Could have been so much worse. Keep moving forward

    ReplyDelete