Friday, May 10, 2013

Legs of Jello

 
I have felt determined but unsuccessful for the past few days in my attempt to go out and run. I went out on Monday and was hoping to go for at least 3 miles, but only made it about 2 1/2 miles. It was hot and I am not used to that yet. Plus it doesn't help that it has rained the past two days.
 
So today I came home and said "Stephanie, you need to do this...get dressed and go!" And I did.
 
I was determined no matter what to do at least 4 miles. And guess what...I DID 5! Let that be a little haha to myself!
 
The only trouble was before I even hit mile 2 my legs began to feel like jello, right in the calf area. Then it crept up to my knees for a bit. So from my 2-4 the jello wiggled around my legs for a bit, but despite the heat, which it was somewhere between 70-80 degrees I believe, I didn't feel to hot. But I am sure that the heat was a contributing factor to my legs, breathing and overall feeling.
I didn't feel to terrible, I just did the best I could, pushed a little and did what I had to do!
 

 
Unfortunately my phone doesn't do selfies very well, or at least when uploaded and made bigger it comes out all pixelated! But this was me after my run, red in the face, sweaty and happy. Again it is hard to tell in this picture, but its there!  

Needless to say, I am on my way to getting in gear for my 2nd half marathon! Plus with some tips left on one of my last posts by a close friend, I have no doubt it will be a great one! (I have included them below!)

1. Train!! Get your plan together start a running log , grab friend and get it!!!!
2. As you train USE SUNBLOCK- & the sweat proof kind. Get you a visor and some light weight sunglasses...
3. Eat healthy especially a couple weeks prior to the race. Lots of veggies and lots of fruit to help you with hydration..
4. Yes, study the race course and know where the water stops are. If you have to wear a hydration belt during your training runs and the actual race since it is July..
5. HYDRATE a couple weeks prior to the race , especially the week of and AFTER. It will help you not feel lethargic during and after the race and will help prevent muscle cramping..
6. Speaking of muscle cramping. Experiment with SALT. Packets of salt from fast food places. Carry them with you for your long runs and you races when its warm. I dont know much about this subject so you will need to read up on it but please do so.
7. Experiment with your race clothes. Lighter the better and dry wick. Wear light colors also
8. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!! Dont set a time goal for your July race. Especially if its warm. The goal is to FINISH!!!!

I intend on following each of these!

-Stephanie
"Together, even the smallest can achieve the greatest goal"

1 comment:

  1. Get it Guuuuurrrrll!!! Proud of you!!
    You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete