Sunday, September 14, 2014

Zooma 10-mile training run!

Saturday morning was something similar to a race day morning, minus the crazy crowds, parking problems and everything else that comes with it.

I woke up at 6am, had the coffee pot set to start at 6:10. Time to get up, get dressed and lubed up (chaffing problems), grab my coffee and english muffin smothered with PB and out the door I went. I then got into my car for a nice drive down to the cape to join a group at a Marathon Sports store in Mashpee for a 10mile run.

I do have to say it wasnt what I was expecting. I was expecting more people I guess, and figured that those that have been appointed to be Zooma Cape Cod ambassadors to be there, but as far as I know, the 6 others that were there were not any of them. But I was there, and that was good enough for me.

There were two men there, Greg and Norm who were leading this small group for the run. Greg would run with us and Norm would be on his bike (not fair) in order to make sure everyone was ok, whether they were ahead or behind the group, in case anyone needed anything or maybe there was a need to go fetch a car. Luckily, none of that was needed, except the simple check ins, if there was a need for water or a GU.

For the first .80 of the first mile, surprisingly enough I was the lead. We all seemed to stick together, but Greg and I were sort of chatting it up about the area and part of the course for the upcoming 1/2 marathon. Before we got started, one girl had asked him if he was a 7min miler, and he replied "not right now" and that he would stay with the group, the lead part of the group and go from there.

Eventually I needed to take my walk break, especially considering I had been running for more than 5 min or more straight which is unlike me. Up until mile 2.5 I had a short enough distance between me and the rest of the group that I could still see them. But of course I suddenly felt like crashing, I could have started crying, for some reason my body felt that tired and awful. I wouldn't allow it though, I had driven this far to go more than 3 miles....10 be exact. So with a longer walking break, I got past it and was able to keep going. I had to push through the emotion, and leave it in the dirt.

I tried to maintain a consistent ratio of  1min run and 30 sec walk. There were a few moments where it was 1:30 run, 45 walk...with a little bit of bluriness...
And of course, around mile 4 I really had to Pee! Luckily we were doing an Out and Back route, so at mile 5 I knew we would turn around. Norm had checked in with me at one time, and he let me know there were some porta johns down at the beach, a little past the turn around point. Either way, I would have gone futher just to see the beach! It was pretty!

I also took that break time to have a GU. This would be the third time I took a GU. Peanut Butter again. Shortly after I started back up again I felt really nauseous, to the point that I could have thrown up. Norm told me to drink more water, that I need to drink enough to help the GU break down in my system. As soon as I did I felt better, less nauseous.  I continued to try my best to maintain my run/walk ratio, but there were times I felt sluggish. I dont know if it was just being tired or the GU. I felt nauseous a few more times off and on, not as strong, but it made me slow down and drink more water.

The second half definitely included more walk breaks than the first half, but I was going to make it through one way or another. The last two miles I went to a ratio of 1:1. I earned myself the nickname Ms. Consistency from Norm for my wonderful way of run/walking and maintaining my speed (sort of). Roughly the last mile, Norm and Greg met up with me, and Greg finished it up with me. It was really helpful and supportive of them both, and made me feel much better.

The other thing that wasn't helpful were the blisters developing on the side of my heel. More my left foot than the right.

In the end I am proud of myself for getting it done, pushing through the pain and tired-ness.
I treated myself with a fozen mocha from Panera then went home!

-Stephanie


No comments:

Post a Comment