Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Trail Runners

Hello...yes I am still here! Are you? The few of you who will actually read this thing I call a blog once and a while!?

It has been a while and I have been doing better with my training...kind of. I have been increasing my mileage, and running, there were times i went out a few times in a week and sometimes going once a week. Not the best idea when training, but whatever...im putting my best foot forward now. I also purchased a Garmin, my first. I have to say I really enjoy it. I do wish there were other features on it, such as pace timer, if I want be able to keep a steady run/walk ratio as well as being able look back on my laps. It only auto laps, so I only get to see how long it took me to run each lap as it happens.



First I am excited to say that there is now a Marathon Sports close to home! I never shopped there before, and there are local running stores, but this one is right down the street from work which is convenient. It opened a few months ago. They started with a ladies night/yoga night, they have held one Fun Pub Run and now they have started a running group! So that is a bonus.

Another bonus, while at the pub run I met a few people part of another running group called The Wormtown Milers. They meet up every Saturday morning and run a minimum of 3 miles, and others run longer, and there is also a leader of a couch to 5k group. It is pretty great! I have only been to one meet up, but I hope to continue with it, even if I still run solo it is a great way to socialize after the run with fellow runners.

I have discovered a love of trail running. Not legit trails, but rail trails. There are trails throughout Massachusetts, I know there are some in other New England states, but not sure about the rest of the country. Anyways, there are a few local trails either near work or home that I can take advantage of.

Thoughts of a runner always includes this scenario.... (thank you buzzfeed)
10. Oh, shit! A fellow jogger!
11. Should I wave?
12. I’m totally gonna wave.
13. OOOK, they didn’t wave back. Never doing that again.
14. Just keep running, no one saw. Except that old guy who may or may not be averting his eyes.

We all have experienced this I am sure...ok maybe not exactly this, but something along those lines. And ya know what I have found about "trail" runners, walkers and bikers.....almost all SUPER friendly, either with a smile, wave, simple hello or hey! Like we are good friends supporting each other. Since running on the rail trails, I find it harder to get myself out to run in my neighborhood. There is just something different about being out on a trail, somewhat secluded but with other people. Maybe that is what it is, the other people. Knowing there are others out there doing what I am doing..or i should say, being active in their own way, having something and someone else to focus on. 
do the math...that's right....9 miles total. boom. 
So with roughly 3 weeks to go until the first of two half marathons, what do you think I did. I got my first Sparkle skirt of course!
I am very excited to wear these with pride! I am also excited that I was able to find skirts to match my new sneakers, or was it that I was able to find sneakers to match the sparkle skirts I knew I would order? Which came first the chicken or the egg. hm.

Ok, I have gone on enough for an update.

Coming up: a 10 mile training run with some Zooma girls!

-Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment